Sunday, April 27, 2014

RABBIT TAXIDERMY - "Supplies I Use"


In my Video Series, RABBIT TAXIDERMY, I use the Following Supplies and Tools:

This Bird's Beak Knife is what I use in Skinning with most of my Animals. It's a Very Useful and Handy Knife. It is SCARY SHARP. I would NOT Recommend this Knife for Younger People.
Click Here for a Variety of Bird's Beak and Paring Knives
Click here for Additional Skinning Knives


This is a Good Set for the money. I Primarily Used the X-Acto No. #2 Scalpel.
Click Here for More X-Acto Choices


Reference Photos are very Helpful to get Realistic Details Correct. Through the Years, I have Accumulated Pages of Color Photos from Various Hunting and Fishing Magazines. I Recommend you do the Same. There are, However, Great Reference Books Available.

Click Here for Wildlife Reference Books


Shears which I use and Recommend:

Click Here for More Choices of Shears


I always keep my Knives Sharp. These are a Couple I use and like.

Click here for a Variety of Knife Sharpeners


Calipers to use for Necessary Measurements

Click Here for Additional Choices for Calipers


The Size of the Foam Block Depends Upon the Size of the Rabbit. I get Sheets of Polystyrene Insulation Foam Sheets, Stack and Glue Them to the Size of the Rabbit Form I Want. There is a Great Deal of Satisfaction in Making your own Forms.

Click Here for Large Selection of Foam
Click Here for More Hot Glue Guns


For Shaving and Shaping Your Form

Click Here for More Shavers for Foam

Here's a Variety of Keyhole Saws from Which to Choose.


For the Finer, more Precise Shaping of the Form.

Click here for a Greater Selection of Rasp & File Sets


Used in This Video for Shaping the Foam. I use this Brush for Many Purposes in the Shop too.
Click Here for More Wire Brush Selections


You'll Need a Good Glue, like Super Glue, Loctite, and/or Hot Glue Gun.

Click Here for a Larger Selection of Glue Guns
Click Here for a Large Selection of Heavy Duty Glue


I Would Recommend for Beginners to use Regular Potter's Clay. It's more Forgiving. If you have Hobby Stores close, check them out.

Click Here for a Larger Selection of Clay


Dry Preservative I always use and Recommend for Rabbits

Click Here for a Large Selection of Dry Preservative


I always use and Recommend Dawn Concentrated, Original, Dish Soap for Cleaning and Degreasing Hides. It really is Superior at Cutting Grease and Fat.

Click Here for Additional Sizes and Prices for Dawn Dish Soap


Good, Reasonable Wire Cutters I use in this Video.
Click Here for Additional Wire Cutters


When Purchasing Wire for Mounting, Remember the Larger the Animal, the Bigger Gauge Wire you need. For Rabbits, I'd Recommend a 14 or 16 Gauge Wire.

Click Here for More Choices of Galvanized Wire


Straight Pins for Lighter Uses and Heavier T-Pins where more Strength is Needed.

Click Here for Larger Selection of Straight Pins
Click Here for More T-Pin Choices


For Habitat and Multiple uses around the Shop

Click Here for Additional Glue Choices


Paint I use for the Finishing Touches
Click Here for More Paint Selection


I use Caulk for a Variety of Situations. You can use  Caulk or Adhesives for a Variety of Applications in Taxidermy.

Click Here for Additional Adhesive Caulk Choices


If you Inject Preservative:
Click Here for Additional Syringe Choices


I use a Variety of Sizes of "Artist" Paint Brushes. You'll use these Brushes with Different Tips. This is a Good Set for the Money.
Click Here for a Nice Selection of Artist's Style Paint Brushes


For an Outdoor-Looking, Realistic, Habitat Base. Add a Log, Branches, Twigs, etc., also.
Click Here for Additional Choices for your Habitat Base


To Gently Rehydrate the Hide. You'll use these Bottles Frequently in your Shop.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Need to Email Rick? Have Any Questions? Ask Your Questions Here. Subscribe to this Site to be Notified of the Answer Sent.