Saturday, January 11, 2014

RACCOON - "Putting Your Fur Up" - Trapping - "Supplies I Use"

Trapping Furbearing Animal Series


Always Wear Protective Gloves when Processing Raccoon.
I Don't Use Vinyl Gloves. They Don't Stretch as Well, and the Sensitivity just isn't there. I Recommend and Use The Following.

But, if you Prefer them, Click here for a Variety of Vinyl Gloves
If you are Allergic to Latex; Click here for Latex-Free Gloves


This Bird's Beak Knife is what I use in Skinning with most of my Smaller Game. It's a Very Useful and Handy Knife. It's Great for Detail Work Too. It is SCARY SHARP. I would NOT Recommend this Knife for Younger People.
Click here for Additional Skinning Knives


I always keep my Knives Sharp. These are a Couple I use and like.

Click here for a Variety of Knife Sharpeners


I also have a couple of Electric Knife Sharpeners. I really like, and use, the one below.
Click here for Additional Electric Knife Sharpeners


Find and Use a Fleshing Knife that you are Comfortable with. I Prefer the Following 16" Fleshing Knife.


Here are a Couple more I have Used and Recommend.

Click here for a Variety of Fleshing Knives


Good Rasp and File Set for the Money.
Click here for a Greater Selection of Rasp & File Sets


A Pair of Side Cutters, or a Pair of Good, Heavy Duty Scissors or Shears are Needed. You can Spend a Lot of Money on Quality, Heavy-Duty Scissors, but, I wouldn't. Here's some which are Reasonably Priced and I Recommend.

Click here for a Variety of Scissors
Click here for More Choices of Side Cutters for Heavier Bone Cutting


For Delicate and Precise Detailed Cutting.

Click here for More Precision Type Scissors


Purchase a METAL Tail Stripper, not a Plastic One. Plastic Tail Strippers do NOT hold up. The following are Recommendations. A Tail Slitting Guide or Tail Puller make the Job easier.

Click here for Additional Vise Grip Choices


Gambrels come in a Variety of Sizes and Weight Capacities for Different Game; ie, Larger, Stronger Gambrels for Larger Game like Deer, Smaller for Raccoon, Fox, etc.

Click here for More Gambrel Choices


I Prefer Wooden Fur Stretchers. You can also make your own Wooden Stretchers. Metal Stretchers can Over-Stretch and therefore thin some Hides too much. Fur Buyers Prefer Skins to be Stretched on Wood. Below are a Couple Examples of the Metal Fur Stretchers.

Click Here for Additional Hide Stretchers


Nails I use to Attach your Hide to Stretching/Drying Board.
Click Here for Additional Small Finishing Nails


The below Links will Direct You to Trapping Wild Game Supplies.

Click Here for a Variety of Trapping Supplies

Trapping Lures
Trapping Urine
Wild Game Traps
Trap Wax
Trap Dye
Trapping Supplies






No comments:

Post a Comment

Need to Email Rick? Have Any Questions? Ask Your Questions Here. Subscribe to this Site to be Notified of the Answer Sent.